Thursday, November 22, 2007

Hakka

Well well well..

A slight update on what's happening.

1. Me mates from KL are coming over for a night stay.
2. I found out that I can live without my phone but not the internet for a day.
3. My internet got cut off. Again.
4. Battlefield 2 is the game to play.


Anyway, It's back to tradition today and it's about, hakka.

Janggg.. (insert traditional music yaww')

You see, both my parents are hakka and that makes me a crystal pure hakka. However, a pure hakka who doesn't speak 客家话 (Kèjiāhuà) is a bit of a waste. That's me. I only know, hakka-nim which means a Hakka women and a little bit more. That's it.

So to make up to it, I did a little bit of study.

Hakkas in Fujian (China)

The Hakka were originally immigrants from northern China who settled in the southern provinces. The Hakkas who settled in the mountainous region of south-western Fujian province developed a unique form of architectural building known as tu lou (土樓), literally meaning earthen structures.

They sure do love circles and sticking them together.

The tu lou are round or square and were designed as a combined large fortress and multi-apartment building complex. The structures typically had only one entrance-way, with no windows at ground level. Each floor served a different function: the first floor containing a well and livestock, the second food storage and the third and higher floors contain living spaces. Tu-lou were built to withstand attack from bandits and marauders.

According to my dad, he said the Hakkas lived on mountains and usually Hakka food will taste a little bit more salty due to the use of salt to preserve. Talking about food, there's Lei Cha aka Ham Cha. Nowadays they call it the beauty/healthy-meal. That makes Hakka-nim damn chio lorh. lol!

I had that for lunch. Oh good Lord, I am chio.

I reckon there's this restaurant called "Restoran Rasa Hakka" near Tebrau market. They serve good Hakka food. Good stuff.

Have a great weekend ehy!

3 comments:

umbrella lady said...

ma kai siii?

ahhhaa!! ham cha!! =D

umbrella lady said...

ma kai siii?

ahhhaa!! ham cha!! =D

L'abeille said...

I heart Lui char farn!!