Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Gingerbread man Project

It was 5 days before Christmas when the sudden idea to bake gingerbread men hit me. Alright, I liked the gingerbread men idea but not baking. Isn't baking for aunties with huge aprons and goes like, "Hey kids, who wants some cookies? It'll only be yours if you promise to be good like little Jimmy sitting all quiet under the tree. Alright kids?" Then the kids will go, "Yes auntie, we promise" with the mischievous look. When she enters the kitchen to collect the cookies, the kids ran towards little Jimmy, tied him upside down on the branches, sealed his lips and placed some spiders near him. The kids ran back just in time to collect their cookies while she exits the kitchen. " Here you go kids, promise to be good like Jim.. Jimmy?. Where's Jimmy? Is that Little Jimmy hanging on the branches?" asked the auntie. "That's him! He got bitten by a spider and now he's.. spiderman!! He's our neighbourhood supergeek! answered one of the kids.

hahaha, haha. Ha. Ahem. Alright, Get the picture?


Anyway, back to gingerbread man. It was a day before christmas eve when I got everything I needed laid on the table, got some friends to come over, got myself to read the recipes, steps to baking and that was magic began. Like, the spoon, knife and almost everything else will go missing after use. heh.

FIRST ATTEMPT
Duration:4 Hours
Time: 9am - 1pm

Is this pro or what?
The Drrrrrrr!!.. sound reminds me on how the dentist would dig for gold inside your mouth. Then the butter will go flying. Nice.

Oh ya, the mixture turned out powder-ish, not dough-ish. So much for pro-ness.


the self made mold.


raw breadman

baked breadman

Christmas breadman!

DOOMS DAY!



Our finest creation. The big one was made by Ee Kiat.

Anyway, It had this bitter after taste which was horrible so, I decided to give it another shot at night. This time, with the help of my sister.

Second Attempt
Duration:5 hours
Time: 10pm - 3am

Looks good ehy, finally.

There you have it, the gingerbread tree. Multi racial community.


Gingerbread tree.



My effort didn't come to a waste. This time, It tasted like cookies. Real solid kick-ass cookies that could take you to heaven.

For the full story of the gingerbread man please click here

Oh well, baking was all fun, dirty, sticky and smelly but overall I pretty much enjoyed myself and the house was filled with the sweet aroma of cinnamon. Complements goes to all who helped out.

Merry Christmas and
a Happy New Year
to all.

Cheers!


2 comments:

Takuya said...

I saw your blog. You looked very interesting. And some cookies which are baked by you looked very delicious. Did you enjoy to celebrate the day of chiristmas?

In case of Japan, some people eat chiristmas cakes and celebrate chiristmas with each boyfriend or girl friend.

Would you tell me about the details of Malaysian chiristmas?
Please write your comment on my blog which calls "WADADESU".
The URL is "http://tw-diary.blogspot.com".
I'm waiting for your comment.

Chris Neo YT said...

Dear philip,

I AM SO IMPRESSED!

very proud of you...

blessings,
YT