Sunday, May 17, 2009

Early Workforce Entry

For about the whole half of this year, I have been mostly away from the online blogging community. Perhaps timeout came naturally 'Peet-Peet, and you're out'.

It feels fresh to be back. I think getting to clear up the purpose behind one thing, makes a hell lot of other things easier. Blogging should be really simple. No hassle on what comes or not. It isn't like you're sucking up to Wall Street Journal's ass for a tiny part of your life back. I find it extremely infuriating and time consuming to filter out a blog entry. It's demoralises the soul to click and hold on the backspace key. It's like thrashing your brain multiple times on the same spot.

Besides that uninteresting, useless explanation. Here's a bit more on the events, changes that took place this first, second quarter of this year.

I'm currently employed as an employee at my dad's carpet/blinds factory. Truth be told, you may be right. My a levels sucked so badly, no companies in Singapore (except Starbucks) would hire any unqualified worker like myself. In fact, they didn't even want to talk anyone with a levels. In response to those seeking advise on which degree to pursue for an easy path, go for a technical degree. That is only if you believe in such a thing, I don't.

Everything took place around September last year in a career fair in Suntec Singapore. I remember getting only one reply out of the 100+ resumes I sent. I went for my first formal interview with a medium sized corporation and it went pretty okay. I googled myself to all possible questions and picked up a thing or two on how things work.

The outcome? They replied, 'I'm sorry, our quota for foreigners is full'. Don't blame us, blame gahmen keep cap small. I remember when I was there, a dude in old polo tees and jeans came walking in for the interview as well. I shook his hand and couldn't imagine how stupid I looked there. I was all dressed up with a proper tie, heading for a great fall.

I went off. I remember when I was in the MRT, holding on to my briefcase with only 3 sheets of paper in it, I felt exactly the same as those uncle who just got retrenched from those Channel8 drama series. Only different is, I didn't even get the job. Surprisingly, I wasn't upset at all. I took it a very, very early experience in entering the workforce. It was a handful of experience really.

My eyes hurt now. I'll continue on the next entry. I know I wrote first, two quarter of this year. That's coming next.

3 comments:

Malaria Max said...

Yea times are pretty fucked now, specially in Singapore. So are you gonna be working for an indefinite amount of time or are u just doing it to wait out for the next intake of some uni?

Philip Pang said...

hey, how have you been?

yeah. I'll still be working there. At the same time will be working on some other projs. watch lectures off the internet etc. will be doing that for the time being. then i'll see how it goes.. might do everything online. who knows.

Anonymous said...

hey hey! see i'm a girl of mah words! see. i visit your blog! LOL kk.. anyway you were practically mia for the first half of da year..
where were u oh?